- City, State: Georgetown, Penang
- Geographic Location: Asia
- Languages: English
I am a self taught visual artist from Malaysia who has returned to art after many years as an environmental and political activist. I now want to devote my life to my first true calling, art! Art is an inseparable part of my life. Eurasian (Thai/English)by birth, I unequivocally Asian in mind and spirit. I live and work on the beautiful island of Penang.
Editorial Collective member Spare Rib Magazine, UK (1984-1992);
Programme Officer to Dep.Ex. Director, Pesticide Action Network Asia and the Pacific, Malaysia (PAN AP – 1993-2008);
Freelance Editor, Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA, 2010);
Consultant, World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action, Malaysia (WABA – 2009-present).
- Exhibit and stall at WABA Breastfeeding Partners Forum (GBPF - http://www.waba.org.my/), Paintings sold to participants from the Medical Filed from India, Africa and the US.
- Exhibit and stall at the Little Penang Street Market (http://www.littlepenang.com.my/),Painting sold to medical Professional from Penang Island Hospital.
- Exhibit on Facebook: Painting sold to client from Belgium
- Exhibit and stall at the Little Penang Street Market, Paintings sold to visitors from Japan and Australia.
March 12 to 20, 2011
- 'Creative Women’s Exhibit' at the g Hotel, as part of the Penang State governments’ International Women’s Day celebrations.
May 22 to June 12, 2011
- Joint 'Art Exhibition on Motherhood: Celebrating and Supporting Women as Mothers, Workers and Nurturers!', at the Gallery Seni Mutiara, 118, Armenian Street, Penang on the occasion of the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) 20th Anniversary. (See: http://www.galerisenimutiara.com/motherhood.php)
Exhibit change by:
Change manifests itself in many ways, in many streams, but all it takes is one act of kindness, bravery, or conscience to make change! My mode of change is now through my art! Working with gouache, acrylic and oils, my art features and celebrates strong women in all facets of their daily lives, women responding to the on-going changes in their environment and communities; and seeking spiritual balance and love.
See also: http://www.artyii.com/page-News-1
I'm passionate about:
Power politics between nations, between hemispheres - which has its roots in greed, and is seen in microcosm everyday in the power politics between men and women. And, the resulting devastation from human-kinds misguided search for so called 'development', 'wealth' and 'growth". I am also very aware the search for identity - as a woman, a community, a nation. Benevolently haunted by memories of my mother’s Thai village in Kelantan, they reference my work, and I have claimed the sarongs the women wore as a totem. Increasingly aware of how such a loving, nurturing act as breastfeeding has ironically become a controversial, even ‘obscene’, act in society’s often cynical eye, I have also reclaimed this as well, revelling in the power of mothers supporting mothers, women supporting women.
Read the conversations in the Community Forum and add your voice.
Promote Political Liberty
Send an e-mail to the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and help free Aung San Suu Kyi, one of the world's most renowned freedom fighters and proponents of nonviolence --English.
Respect Everyone Everywhere
If you can no longer remain silent, then this is the time to put your foot down. Join Respect-ev, sign their petition and help stop female genital mutilation. --English, French, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish
Reduce Your Pollution
Make a commitment to reduce pollution. Change your everyday and long-term behavior. Commit to Rachel Carson Legacy Challenge and lessen your ecological footprint. --English
Who are Women in Black?
Women in Black is a world-wide network of women committed to peace and actively opposed to war, militarism and other forms of violence. Learn about their work and how to start your own peaceful vigil. --English, French
It is only with your support that the International Museum of Women can succeed in its mission to amplify the voices of women worldwide through award-winning innovative exhibitions, strategic partnerships and local public programming and events.
Contribute today by becoming a member, donating to I.M.O.W or registering for our online community. Become part of the rising global community of women and men impacting the lives of women around the world!
Submit your work to be considered for Economica or to appear in your personal profile.
Curate your own exhibition of museum content! Add your favorite stories to your profile by navigating to the story page and clicking on the + sign in the right column.