There are varying issues affecting women around the globe that are particularly atrocious. The masses of disappearing women in Juarez, Mexico and in Guatemala is one of them, child molestation and exploitation in America, the sex slave industry, FGM in Africa, bride burning in India . . .

So-called "honor killing" has come to my attention recently as several incidences have been reported now in Europe and the United States. This is one of the most extreme outcomes of misogyny as it manifests in Muslim communities, when male family members take it upon themselves to murder their own daughters/sisters/cousins because they have been "bad Muslim women." Usually the woman's crime was that she sought some form of sexual independence, dating men outside the community, divorcing, etc.

I am working on a project that addresses several of these global women's issues in a serious, yet upbeat and optimistic way (by creating superheroines who kick butt); and I want to connect with women around the world by discussing our unique struggles and finding commonalities. Currently I'm working on the segment focusing on honor killings and I'd love to hear from anyone, but especially from any Islamic feminists, who have thoughts and feelings around this issue.