Environment: Toxic Make-up

Add your Comment >

Elliott
United States

Toxic Make-up

I recently took a toxicology class at UCSC, in which I learned about many harmful everyday products and procedures that I feel everyone should be aware of. Cosmetics, in particular, stood out as an especially threatening category because of the severity of some of the toxic chemicals they contain combined with the range and consistency of their use. Products such as blush, eyeliner, concealer, face powder, eye shadow, foundation, lip gloss, make-up remover, and mascara are all chemical culprits, the majority of which contain varied levels of carcinogenic substances, neurotoxins, and/or petroleum distillates. Aside from posing serious health risks, threats to the environment are also a concern that I feel people are vastly unaware of, the main reason being that these chemicals are able to travel through the air, or, when washed off, into the water, allowing them to pollute much more than necessary. Buying natural products or wearing less make-up are good ways to avoid contributing to this problem, so I encourage people to research products that will work for them and collectively we can help to reduce pollution levels!

Jane Whitfield
Jane Whitfield
United States

That is very interesting information. Hair color is another product that is harmful to the environment, yet millions of women (including me) use it.

This makes me wonder how women decide what is "worth the risk" in regards appearance, and do men make similar decisions in regard to looking better regardless of health risks. (Perhaps steroid use?)

Wangui Banks
Wangui Banks
United States

Gorgeously Green

I recently purchased this book, Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano and have found great resources for healthy cosmetics and household cleaners. After reading it I dumped all my (toxic) household cleaners and my make up in a big box and made an appointment for the waste company to come and pick it all up (they actually provide this service for free so you do not end up creating more pollution by dumping the toxic waste in landfills).

This book is like an encyclopedia of green living. The author has managed to explain all you need to know and share the resources necessary for you to make small changes in your life without feeling overwhelmed. For every toxic product or chemical she lists, she has at least 2 completely safe and accessible alternatives.
My cabinet is now filled with baking soda, white vinegar, tea tree oil, lavender etc. and we mix our own household cleaners. The house smells delicious and my daughter can help me wipe surfaces without me worrying about her being exposed to pollutants.
As for the makeup and hair color, there are some great organic alternatives that make you look just as good if not better.

You should check out her website: gorgeouslygreen.com

Lalita Raman
Lalita Raman
Hong Kong

Toxic Make Up- Effect on Health and Environment

Hello Elliott. This is an interesting topic and thank you for having raised it in this forum. You are right many of us are not aware about the toxins in various make up products and cosmetics we use. In fact, today, while I was responding to this, I happened to find an interesting link which I think each of us can use. Please go to the following link and type in what you use and check it out.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

Each of us unconsciously absorb considerable amount of toxins a year from make up alone and I happened to read that this is estimated at 5 pounds of just acidic toxins a year!

It not only affects our health but also the environment we live in and may be even contributing to climate changes!!

Yes agreed that we should use more natural, non toxic and environment friendly products to help ourselves and protect the environment.

Barsha Hamal
Barsha Hamal
United States

Healthy living

Watoxics.org, run by Washington Toxics Coalition, is a great place to learn about problems affecting the environment and how we can adopt sustainable ways of living.

Talking about cosmetics, many of us believe that chemicals with long names must be particularly harmful, but it is not true. On the other hand, chemicals like Sodium Fluoride (kind of short & easy to remember) are used as rat poison and I can't imagine having it in my toothpaste.

Manufacturers are out there to sell their products and the best way to increase their sales is to confuse us with their labeling and advertising strategies. They want to lure us into buying their product-that's all. So the burden is on us to read the product label carefully and be concerned about its health & environmental impacts.

sunshine
sunshine
United States

i need your help

Wow, you are the perfect person i need to talk to!
For my senior project i am making a video with my partner on how modern makeup/shampoos ect is toxic to our environment. This will be exhibited in our senior exhibition. We have so many questions and you seem like the perfect person who knows the answers. if you could pleeeeeease email me that would be wonderful!
thanks for your time:)
from nicole
nshaw@hightechhigh.org

I rily can't think why these giant companies keep on making cosmetics that can harm our environment. Is there any way they can make any products than can't harm our environment? Like making natural products. There are many useful plants out there that can be made into cosmetics.

Regards,

Derek Smeath
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/forums/viewthread/11036/P11/

I rily can't think why these giant companies keep on making cosmetics that can harm our environment. Is there any way they can make any products than can't harm our environment? Like making natural products. There are many useful plants out there that can be made into cosmetics.

Regards,

Derek Smeath
[URL=http://asianmakeup.org%5dAsian makeup[/URL]

Tags: No tags found.