IGNITE: Women Fueling Science and Technology
PRODUCTION DEADLINES: August 2014 - May 2015 (Dependent on theme, see below)
OBJECTIVE: In November 2014, Global Fund for Women (GFW) will launch Ignite: Women Fueling Science and Technology. Ignite is an online multimedia project that will explore the impact of technology and science on the global evolution of gender equality. The project is structured around five thematic galleries, deadlines for content production and submission are reflective of the gallery launch.
• Visionaries: Imagining the Future (Deadline September 12, 2014)
• Creatives: Art, Design and Creative Technology (September 12, 2014)
• Leaders: Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Investment and Mentoring (Deadline November 14, 2014)
• Girl Geeks: Girls, science and technology (February 2015)
• Change Makers: Technology and global challenges/solutions building (March 2015)
GLOBAL CALL FOR VIDEOGRAPHERS AND PHOTOGRAPHERS: To produce the online project and multimedia features GFW invites professional photographers and videographers to propose short projects or selections of archival imagery that align with the Ignite project themes listed above.
SPECS: Photography/Submit photojournalism and artistic photography. Please include captions of between 5-50 words. Upload .jpg or .gif files with a minimum of 72dpi (300dpi preferred). Limit 15 images per submission. Video/Animation/Submit video, film clips, trailers or animation no longer than 15 minutes. Please include a minimum 100- word description. Upload .mov, .avi, .mp4, .mp3, .aiff, .aif, or .wav files no more than 40MB each. Limit two videos per submission. GFW accepts video and photography in all styles (manipulated and pure photographic images).
REGIONS: GFW encourages the participation of photographers and videographers from all regions of the world. However GFW is particularly interested in capturing the stories of women and girl innovators in the following countries(Ignite partner organizations in parentheses),
• Kenya (Ushahidi and Akira Chix)
• Nigeria (Inwelle Centre for Study and Research)
• Brazil (Python Girls and Women Who Code Recife)
• Egypt (Harass Map)
• Bulgaria (Gender, Education, Research and Technology)
• India (Feminist Approaches to Technology)
• Syria (Housewives of Syria)
The Global Fund for Women has a broad global audience through its on the-ground partnerships and social media channels. Therefore work presented in Ignite will be visible to women around the world. Please see Terms and Permissions for more information.
INSTRUCTIONS: To contribute to the Ignite project contact Michaela Leslie-Rule with your bio, an example of your previous work with captioning or essays included, a link to your website and the region (or regions) that are accessible to you.
GFW will be available to photographers and videographers to answer any questions, or provide necessary guidance throughout the editing and finalization process for each body of work.
222 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
Tel: +1 206 321 4992